gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] 'scons check' installs files, fails on pyserial

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] 'scons check' installs files, fails on pyserial
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 16:57:45 -0700

Yo Charles!

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 17:23:37 -0600
Charles Curley <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > Erm. "scons udev-uninstall" did not remove any gpsd executables
> > > from /usr/local/bin
> >
> > I'm unfamiliar with that option. Seems to me that nothing udev
> > related gets installed in /usr/local/bin.  What were you
> > expecting?
>
> Ah. I was expecting it to do a complete uninstall, including the udev
> stuff.

Nope.  Here is what it removes:

    'rm -f %s/gpsd.hotplug' % env['udevdir'],
    'rm -f %s/rules.d/25-gpsd.rules' % env['udevdir'],

udevdir defaults to /lib/udev/

> Maybe I should expect it to only remove the udev stuff,

Yup.

> so to
> get a complete uninstall, one should run both "scons uninstall" and
> "scons udev-uninstall"?

Maybe.  I sure would not trust it.  No way scons can know what you
did in your previous install.  People tend to get pieces of
gpsd splattered all over their disk.

And then there is the case of xgps, xgpsspeed, ubxtool, zerk, etc.
Maybe it got installed earlier before the PyGTK and pyserial checks,
but now scons might think they should not be installed, thus not
know to uninstall them.

> > > Output:
> > > address@hidden:~/versioned/gpsd$ scons check
> >
> > Looks like you ran 'scons check', not "scons udev-uninstall"?
>
> You asked me to run "scons check", so I gave you the output from it.

Ah, I missed the subject change.  Not gonna look at it since you
think all was working now.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588