gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] 'scons check' installs files, fails on pyserial

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] 'scons check' installs files, fails on pyserial
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 12:11:59 -0700

Yo Charles!

On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 12:51:57 -0600
Charles Curley <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Tyring to install in the system as non-root?  That SHOULD not work.
> > Ever.  Nor should "scons && scons check" be installing anything.
>
> Agree.
>
> And I narrowed the installation down to "scons check".

Ditto.  Then it got real scary.

> > Or is scons trying to execute /usr/local/bin/gegps?  In which case
> > it should work fine.  Since you are running "scons && scons check"
> > no way to know which ("scons" or "scons check") is wrong.  And
> > neither should be running anything out of the tree.
>
> If you run as root, "scons check" installs (not good), then runs the
> programs out of the tree (meh).

Actually, much worse than that.  Run this:
        strace -o tmp scons check

The look at the file: tmp.  You will think Halloween cam early.  I had
to sleep with the lights on last night.

I still can't figure out how to describe the horrors.

> And permissions for the directory were odd:
>
> address@hidden:~$ ll -d /usr/local/bin
> drwxrwxr-x 2 root 500 4096 Oct  4 14:43 /usr/local/bin/
> address@hidden:~$

That is odd.  But maybe intentional so group 'user; can install there.

On Gentoo:

$ ls -ld /usr/local/bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct  4 13:10 /usr/local/bin

> but "other" should be able to read and execute (search) regardless. So
> I don't know why a permission was being denied to a non-root
> user.

The strace says something neither of us expected is happening:

unlink("/usr/local/bin/gegps")          = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

Along with a large number of other scary things...

> Since I don't have Google Earth installed, it may have failed
> trying to open something related to GE.

gegps actually has nothing directly to do the GE.  It just writes a
KML file.  Useful for many things other than GE.

> Here is complete output, from this morning's run of "scons check", as
> a non-root user:

No got look at the strace output.

I'm working on some SConstruct fixes for this.  I have always avoided
SConstruct.  Many problems in the same area.  Some stuff, like
check_compile(), do not look like they ever worked.  Then the new
problem that I made (python_versions).

And, something I noticed before, a lot of the check routines may
fail, but scons keeps on going..

I'm guessing a 3.18.1 next week....

RGDS
GARY