gnue-sb-discuss

Re: [gnue-sb-discuss] Re: Roadmap

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: [gnue-sb-discuss] Re: Roadmap
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:25:08 -0700 (MST)

Stanley A. Klein said:
> At 12:05 PM 3/26/2003 -0500, Derek Neighbors <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 11:53, Stanley A. Klein wrote:
>>
>>> Also, I did an initial population of gnue-sb from anoncvs several
>>> months back, but I need to know the commands for doing an update.
>>
>>$ cvs update -Pd
>>

> To be precise (and being a permanent CVS newbie  :-) I assume you mean
> as follows:
>
> cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden: /cvsroot/gnue-sb login
>
> cvs -z3 -d :pserver:address@hidden: /cvsroot/gnue-sb -Pd
> gnue-sb
>
> Please verify this.

I believe once you login and checkout a module.  If you are in a directory
that you checked out you need only do cvs udpate -Pd.  The worse case you
only do the first line you pasted (the login) then do a cvs update -Pd.

> BTW, the reason I have gotten away with using the same version of
> QuickBooks all these years is that being a one-person business -- and an
> LLC at that -- I haven't needed to do a payroll.  Where they force
> upgrades is on the payroll-related tax calculations that are driven by
> data tables that must be obtained by subscription and often require
> upgrades for compatibility.  We will eventually need to figure out how
> that will be handled with GNUe.

It is a longer discussion that applies to many things like Zipcodes etc...
Where you can get the data at a "price" and not under a free distribution
license.  I think in ALL these instances we will want to start "free
services" where we use the IMDB, CDDB etc approach and that is let the
"people" populate the data and then offer it back freely.  However, that
is a much broader debate and we will cross the bridge as we come to it.

-Derek