gnue-sb-discuss

[gnue-sb-discuss] Purchase Orders for Utilities, etc.

From: Peter Sullivan
Subject: [gnue-sb-discuss] Purchase Orders for Utilities, etc.
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 07:14:04 +0000

Picking up on a conversation from IRC yesterday...

Actually, there is a good case for making people raise Purchase
Orders (either call-off/blanket POs in advance, or specific POs
retrospectively) even for things like utilities and rent. It has
nothing to do with the system per se, but reflects the fact that
systems get used by people (i.e. fallible human beings).

If you have a business process where some AP invoices need to be
matched to POs, and some where the AP invoice is input direct,
then you create a "corridor of uncertainty"* within the minds
of your AP input clerks, and the scope for them to get things
wrong. At its worst, this may result in them doing just the
most perfunctory of checks for a matching PO, before concluding
that "this must be an invoice that doesn't *need* a PO" despite
clear external evidence to the contrary (e.g. description of
goods as clearly PO-able). So they input it as a direct AP
invoice, rather than matching it to a PO.

This then means that the commitment record in the General Ledger
(for Orders Raised Not Received) never clears, which the
budget manager for that cost centre may or may not notice,
depending how keen they are on commitment accounting anyway.
Multiply this over time by hundreds or thousands of POs, and
you have an out-of-control situation.

This is not just a theoretical problem. I spent quite a bit of
time with at least two clients of my last employer trying to
unpick this, and one of them eventually had to write off all
outstanding POs more than six months old, on the grounds that
they "must have been delivered, but the invoice input wrong."
And when we were doing site visits for the ERP system we are
implementing at my current job, one of our reference sites
had exactly the same problem. (I deliberately haven't named
either system, as it's not the fault of either system.)

By insisting that every AP must have a PO, you force people to
do sensible checks before firing the invoice back to the
originator and asking why a PO wasn't done for it. (Depending
on your company procedures, there may be varying degrees of
"acceptable excuse" here.) Ending up with 'non-intuitive'
POs for things like Utilities and Rents is the lesser evil
here.

The other alternative, I suppose, is to put some intelligence
into the system, so that each account code within General
Ledger has a flag on it that says whether a PO is required
for AP invoices to that code. If the flag was set, which
should probably be the default, the system would refuse to
allow a direct-input AP invoice to cost there, but would
require it to be matched to a PO instead. If the flag was
not set (for example, on Payroll, Utilities and Rents codes)
then direct input AP invoices would be OK. Having said this,
I am not aware of any system that does this as of time of
writing, so I wonder if there is an obvious flaw with this
that I've not spotted.

* My apologies to Geoffrey Boycott (now *there's* a phrase I
never thought I'd type) for (ab)using his cricket-related
metaphor.
--
Peter Sullivan