gnue-sb-discuss

Re: [gnue-sb-discuss] Re: Roadmap

From: Stanley A. Klein
Subject: Re: [gnue-sb-discuss] Re: Roadmap
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 07:04:00

At 12:05 PM 3/26/2003 -0500, Derek Neighbors <address@hidden> wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 11:53, Stanley A. Klein wrote:
>
>> Also, I did an initial population of gnue-sb from anoncvs several months
>> back, but I need to know the commands for doing an update.
>
>$ cvs update -Pd

To be precise (and being a permanent CVS newbie  :-) I assume you mean as
follows:

cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden: /cvsroot/gnue-sb login

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:address@hidden: /cvsroot/gnue-sb -Pd gnue-sb

Please verify this.

>> I've been using the same copy of QuickBooks Pro since 1996, and I would
>> love for gnue-sb to be able to replace it.  It almost became an emergency
>> when I upgraded my hard drive and reloaded QuickBooks.  It requred a
>> registration number and they had stopped giving them out for the version I
>> use.  Luckily, I hadn't deleted the (no longer used) copy on an older
>> machine and got the number from there.
>
>Seems we are putting accounting on more of a fast track than first
>discussed.  Expect to see it surfacing soon, in some incarnation.  If
>you are hooked on the 'polish' and feature set of quickbooks likely it
>will be a while before gnue-sb will replace it. If you want some more
>power to customize without a ton of whiz bang widgets gnue-sb might be
>ready to kick the tires in an acceptable time.

I got QuickBooks because it was convenient at the time.  It does the job
with some workarounds needed in some areas and some nice-to-do but
non-critical things I want to do but can't.  If I ever need to comply with
government contract accounting rules I won't be able to use QuickBooks.
(That would happen if I were to win a Phase I Small Business Innovation
Research Contract -- which doesn't require compliance -- and then go on to
Phase II, which requires a compliant accounting system.)

I also have some spreadsheets where I keep what I now know as "journals"
for office expenses, local travel expenses, and fixed asset details.  It
would be nice to be able to integrate them into the accounting system and
to make them easier to use.

BTW, the reason I have gotten away with using the same version of
QuickBooks all these years is that being a one-person business -- and an
LLC at that -- I haven't needed to do a payroll.  Where they force upgrades
is on the payroll-related tax calculations that are driven by data tables
that must be obtained by subscription and often require upgrades for
compatibility.  We will eventually need to figure out how that will be
handled with GNUe.

Stan Klein