gnue-sb-discuss

Re: [gnue-sb-discuss] Re: Roadmap

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: [gnue-sb-discuss] Re: Roadmap
Date: 26 Mar 2003 00:30:00 -0700

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 11:53, Stanley A. Klein wrote:
> At 12:05 PM 3/25/2003 -0500, Derek Neighbors <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >I have started a very basic roadmap and put up on the gnue-sb website.
>
> Where is the gnue-sb web site?  Is it (or will it be) linked from the gnue
> web site?

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnue-sb/ currently it is not linked.  We are
working on it.

> Also, I did an initial population of gnue-sb from anoncvs several months
> back, but I need to know the commands for doing an update.

$ cvs update -Pd

> >I havent responded to Jason's accounting piece because well for the most
> >part my answer is "yes". :)  I dont see long drawn out accounting
> >debates, but rather implement and as we encounter issues we discuss.  I
> >know this isn't 100% optimal in the "computer science" world, but there
> >is something said to getting something out the door.
>
> The stuff that Jason talked about is much, much more important to me than
> anything else that I've seen discussed regarding gnue-sb.  As a consultant,
> I have no inventory other than my time.  The areas I'm concerned about
> include general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, expenses
> (especially including travel), fixed assets (which I need to record for
> paying state business "personal property" taxes), and balance sheet items
> (which I also need for the personal property tax form).
>
> I've been using the same copy of QuickBooks Pro since 1996, and I would
> love for gnue-sb to be able to replace it.  It almost became an emergency
> when I upgraded my hard drive and reloaded QuickBooks.  It requred a
> registration number and they had stopped giving them out for the version I
> use.  Luckily, I hadn't deleted the (no longer used) copy on an older
> machine and got the number from there.

Seems we are putting accounting on more of a fast track than first
discussed.  Expect to see it surfacing soon, in some incarnation.  If
you are hooked on the 'polish' and feature set of quickbooks likely it
will be a while before gnue-sb will replace it. If you want some more
power to customize without a ton of whiz bang widgets gnue-sb might be
ready to kick the tires in an acceptable time.

--
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise

Was I helpful?  Let others know: