ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] A visit to the Paris astronomic observatory?

From: Alain Coulais
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] A visit to the Paris astronomic observatory?
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 11:29:28 +0200

> Hello Alain.
>
> On 2013-08-19 at 23:41, Alain Coulais wrote:
>
> [I had written]
>>> At the present time 7 people said they were interested; 6 of them are
>>> available any night (Thursday, Friday, Saturday), one of them on
>>> Thursday and Friday only.
>
> [update: 15 people, including only one not available on Saturday]
>
>> I am on travel today and tomorrow, landing late
>> Wednesday in Paris. Then I will propose to you
>> a solution.
>
> Thanks for your work, providing us with this opportunity.  Some of the
> people seemed really fascinated by the idea.
>
> However not knowing the date up to the last minute makes things a little
> complicated for organizing dinners; we'd like to reserve restaurants for
> Friday and Saturday as soon as possible, since we will be a lot.
>

> If that were possible for you, I think it would be best to have the
> observatory visit on Thursday; since Thursday's evening was intended to
> be "improvised" since the beginning, times will be flexible.  And what
> do you think the right time would be?  Is something like 22:30
> acceptable?  I really don't know, and again this is important for
> organizing the rest of the evening.
>
> Of course you're more than welcome to come with dinner with us as well
> :-).
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Luca Saiu
> Home page:   http://ageinghacker.net
> GNU epsilon: http://www.gnu.org/software/epsilon
> Marionnet:   http://marionnet.org

hi

back to France

I just made a reservation for this evening, Thursday 22
from 22 PM. We can meet at 22h30. Please consider
I can NOT wait for "to be late" people at the main entrance
because we have to walk about 10' to the roof ...

I don't know now if it will be validated but it should.

Please transfer me *in private* *before 15h* the list
(location/entry is :
77 Avenue Denfert Rochereau, paris 14ieme, metro Station Denfert,
lines 4 and 6 and RER B. About 20 minutes walking distance from
Place d'Italie)
No working cellular now, I will send phone number(s) later.

I realize despite being after full the Moon may be a target
(not fully sure because it is more tricky to use this instrument
in the East direction. I am afraid Saturn is too low in West
at we are too late) I can not guaranty the observations
will be successful : old historic instrument (150 years old)
We also dependent on the weather, especially the high
altitude clouds we have today :(

On my side, I not sure to be able to be free tomorrow evening (Friday)
and even more difficult to be free on Saturday evening.

If we start at 22h30 and we are about 15
you should be "free" before midnight. You cannot
leave the group before all of us go back.
I don't know in detail last metro/RER but
it should be half an hour left, we have Velib stations around,
and it you hotels are not far from Place d'Italie
it is in walking distance.

Yes it is free.

I hope I forgot nothing.

best regards