Re: [ft] Is freetype the right program for a small embedded printing sys

From: Jungle Jim
Subject: Re: [ft] Is freetype the right program for a small embedded printing system?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 00:28:38 -0700 (PDT)

Brady Duga wrote:

> Sounds like you have a very specific implementation that doesn't need all
> the support of FreeType (or any font engine). Looks like you have 3
> embedded black-and-white bitmap fonts. You don't say what character set
> you need to support - is this ASCII, Latin-1, Unicode, etc? Anyway, it
> sounds like you might be better off with a custom solution. Just design
> your glyphs and encode them as B&W bitmaps, using your own code to index
> and print them. You can compress them to save space (perhaps run-length
> encode, which is both simple and pretty good at compressing simple B&W
> images). You may not even need to expand them to uncompressed bitmaps. It
> kind of depends on how you communicate with the print head. And if they
> are monospaced you don't even need to store their metrics per-glyph.
>
> --Brady

Thanks Brady, I think you have suggested the right solution. It is a Latin
set and it can be made country-specific so you are right, 3 black and white
bitmaps with compression should be the simplest. I will uncompress the
monospaced characters into memory as I need them and then shift the complete
built bitmap out to the print head.