Re: [ft] Is freetype the right program for a small embedded printing sys

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] Is freetype the right program for a small embedded printing system?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 00:51:55 +0900

Hi,

Basically, if you want to use an outline font, FreeType2
is the one of the important candidate.

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 07:49:56 -0700 (PDT)
Jungle Jim <address@hidden> wrote:
>This is a newbie question, but having spent hours googling with no luck I
>need to ask the experts.
>
>I have to develop an industrial printer that uses an HP-type ink jet print
>head. It is a very low cost embedded system with limited RAM (probably <128K
>- note not 128 Meg, 128K!) and about the same in ROM. I need to build in a
>font with only three sizes. Assuming the head has 512 dots the three fonts
>will be 512 pixels , 256 pixels or 128 pixels high, So I get effectively a
>full height, half height and quarter height font.

128K RAM/ROM... Hmm, the font is sent to the printer during
the transfer of the printing data from the external machine?
Or, all available fonts are stored in the printer's ROM?
If stored in the printer, the font format is TrueType?
Even if it is in TrueType format, I guess, you are interested
in bitmap part only. Your printer have to make bitmap image
from outline data?

Regards,
mpsuzuki