Re: [ft] Is freetype the right program for a small embedded printing sys

From: Jungle Jim
Subject: Re: [ft] Is freetype the right program for a small embedded printing system?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 00:33:28 -0700 (PDT)

mpsuzuki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Basically, if you want to use an outline font, FreeType2
> is the one of the important candidate.
>
> 128K RAM/ROM... Hmm, the font is sent to the printer during
> the transfer of the printing data from the external machine?
> Or, all available fonts are stored in the printer's ROM?
> If stored in the printer, the font format is TrueType?
> Even if it is in TrueType format, I guess, you are interested
> in bitmap part only. Your printer have to make bitmap image
> from outline data?
>
> Regards,
> mpsuzuki

Hi,

I think poster Brady has come up with the solution. In this case there is no
external machine, the printer is the entire machine. It has a small
keyboard/display and operators type in for example "DISPLAY UNTIL END
MARCH". It doesn't need Truetype, as long as it is readable on a cardboard
carton it complies with food industry legislation so B/W monotype fonts will
do the job.