Re: [ft] Subpixel Hinting Patch

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Subpixel Hinting Patch
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:10:22 +0200 (CEST)

> http://www.infinality.net/files/subpixel-hinting-20100416-4.patch
>
> Here is the latest version of the subpixel hinting patch.  This one
> is intended to be more "cleaned-up" than the older ones.

Very nice!  Thanks a lot for your hard work.

> Please feel free to make suggestions and criticisms of the approach
> and implementation.  My goal is to make this patch quality and
> accurate, and get it into the freetype tree if possible.  There are
> plenty of improvements that can still be made, in features and
> implementation.

Basically, all of your code looks very clean and promising.  However,
it seems that you (completely?) replace the current gray-level hinting
stuff with cleartype-like hinting.  Is this intended?  Shouldn't this
be three different `modes'?  Bi-level, standard gray-level, and
cleartype-like?