Re: [ft] Subpixel Hinting Patch

From: Moony
Subject: Re: [ft] Subpixel Hinting Patch
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 19:53:56 -0500

Yes, I used the grayscale hinting setting for a few reasons. Perhaps I'm not completely understanding what I am doing, but my reasons were this:

- Currently in Freetype, there is a setting for grayscale vs. bi-level TT hinting, however in reality there exists only TT bi-level hinting. In other words, there is no difference in how the TT interpreter renders the outlines when grayscale is set versus bi-level (but maybe I'm wrong here). The difference between grayscale and bi-level only comes into place during the rasterization. So, since grayscale mode can more closely represent the subpixel hinting than bi-level hinting can, it made sense to me to have it replace the existing grayscale TT hinting (which is in fact just bi-level TT hinting).

- There is currently no "subpixel-hinting" flag that freetype/fontconfig can use, so until that could be put into place, replacing grayscale would allow this patch to do something during the interim.

- It can easily be changed, so I figured there was no harm.  ;)

I intended on separating subpixel out from grayscale, just not in this version of the patch. You are absolutely correct that it should be 3 different modes.

Basically, all of your code looks very clean and promising.  However,
it seems that you (completely?) replace the current gray-level hinting
stuff with cleartype-like hinting.  Is this intended?  Shouldn't this
be three different `modes'?  Bi-level, standard gray-level, and
cleartype-like?