[ft] Subpixel Hinting Patch

From: Moony
Subject: [ft] Subpixel Hinting Patch
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 20:53:07 -0500

http://www.infinality.net/files/subpixel-hinting-20100416-4.patch

Here is the latest version of the subpixel hinting patch. This one is intended to be more "cleaned-up" than the older ones. It is an all-in-one patch that should cleanly patch freetype-2.3.12, enable LCD filtering, subpixel rendering, and the new subpixel hinting.

Notable differences with this version compared to previous versions:
* Much, much cleaner. Removed the global variables and did proper indenting. ;) Could still be optimized more however. * Preserves bi-level hinting when bi-level is requested, and enables subpixel hinting when "grayscale" is requested. * Should perform similarly to plain freetype bi-level TT hinting. (although I have not done actual comparisons) * Follows the whitepaper ( http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/truetypecleartype.aspx ) more closely, modifying the rounding functions instead of the moving functions.
* No longer crashes OO.org or any other program that I'm aware of!

Please feel free to make suggestions and criticisms of the approach and implementation. My goal is to make this patch quality and accurate, and get it into the freetype tree if possible. There are plenty of improvements that can still be made, in features and implementation.