Re: [ft] Modifying/Enhancing the Truetype Interpreter

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Modifying/Enhancing the Truetype Interpreter
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 20:54:21 +0200 (CEST)

Sorry for not answering earlier; I've missed your mail.

> What I was struggling with was why it was necessary to split the
> grid into 16 pieces in the x direction, as opposed to simply /not
> rounding at all/.

Good question.  I've asked MS people why the horizontal resolution
factor is 16, and they answered that it fitted them best.  Please bear
in mind that it makes sense to limit the numbers of subpixels on the
designer's side so that you can exactly control the glyph's
appearance.  On the renderer's side there is no such limitation.

> There is still something that the MS interpreter does (that isn't
> documented in the whitepaper) to snap some stems to the grid.  I
> can't figure out how to do that without ruining the glyphs though.
> (My guess is that they put lots of hard-code in place.)

Perhaps it makes sense that you subscribe to the OpenType mailing
list, repeating your questions.