Re: [ft] How to compile universal freetype on MacOS X 10.4?

From: Tor Andersson
Subject: Re: [ft] How to compile universal freetype on MacOS X 10.4?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 00:50:03 +0200

On 9/22/06, Russell E Owen <address@hidden> wrote:
At 12:01 AM +0200 2006-09-22, Tor Andersson wrote:
>>I'm trying to build a universal (ppc and i386) libfreetype 2.1.12 (or
>>any reasonably recent version) on my PPC Mac (10.4.7 with XCode 2.4). I
>>can built something, but it's always PPC-only.
>
>I believe that you need to compile twice, once with each -arch flag, to
>separate files. Then you merge together the two resulting (i386 and ppc)
>dylib files with "lipo".
>
>At least that's how Xcode does it. I do not believe that gcc can
>compile to both
>architectures in the same command, which it looks like you're trying to do.

I suppose that may be necessary for freetype. I hope not, because I
don't have easy access to an Intel Mac.

However, if you are making a blanket assertion that having gcc build
for both i386 and ppc at the same time doesn't work...that's wrong.
The tech note I reference shows how to do it, and it works just fine
for libpng.

That's what I meant, so I guess I am wrong.

I've built universal apps on ppc macs, but I've always
used Xcode (which compiles the architectures separately)
and/or lipo to stitch the architectures together into a fat binary.

Also, I know somebody who built a universal libfreetype on his Intel
Mac. He claims to have used a similar incantation (and doing it all
at once, not building separately and combining) but he doesn't
remember the exact details.