Re: [ft] Artwiz font: creating new encoding problems.

From: Tomasz Kalkosinski
Subject: Re: [ft] Artwiz font: creating new encoding problems.
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 20:31:51 +0100

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 21:05:20 +0100, Keith Packard <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 13:48 +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>
>> There is a simple solution: Encode your BDF files as Unicode (ISO
>> 10646)!  Xft then can map the fonts automatically to code sets like
>> latin-1 or latin-2.
>
> It's actually far better to use fontforge to convert the BDF files to
> SFNT files using 10646 encoding. Fontconfig and Xft only handle Unicode
> encodings, and the X server will automatically transcode SFNT files to
> whatever encoding you desire. Using BDF files means you have to generate
> separate font files for any encoding you use with the X server, and you
> still have to use Unicode with Xft and fontconfig.

I already use unicode encoding for them. They seem to work fine. Although I
have some problems. Fore example XMMS doesn't display my unicode .pcf font
correctly, it uses different one. root-tail has also some problems with fonts
served by Xft. If you have some thoughts why some applications doesn't like
unicode fonts, please share. If not, I'll still detect these things to get
fully finctional fonts.

Regards,
Tomasz Kalkosiński