Re: [ft] Artwiz font: creating new encoding problems.

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [ft] Artwiz font: creating new encoding problems.
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 12:05:20 -0800

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 13:48 +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> There is a simple solution: Encode your BDF files as Unicode (ISO
> 10646)!  Xft then can map the fonts automatically to code sets like
> latin-1 or latin-2.

It's actually far better to use fontforge to convert the BDF files to
SFNT files using 10646 encoding. Fontconfig and Xft only handle Unicode
encodings, and the X server will automatically transcode SFNT files to
whatever encoding you desire. Using BDF files means you have to generate
separate font files for any encoding you use with the X server, and you
still have to use Unicode with Xft and fontconfig.

SFNT is the preferred format for all fonts; I keep hoping to get some
time to finish the work to erradicate BDF and PCF fonts from the X
world.

-keith