[ft] Artwiz font: creating new encoding problems.

From: Tomasz Kalkosiński
Subject: [ft] Artwiz font: creating new encoding problems.
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 23:38:01 +0100

First of all, I want to say hello to mailing list. I have a font problem and
I've found this list as appropiate one to post. If my post is NTG, please tell
me where I can find a better help.

Some of you know Artwiz fonts. These are small, non-scalable fonts looking like
a "machine" print. The sources can be found here :
http://artwizaleczapka.sourceforge.net/ . I like them a lot, but they had no
polish special characters, so I've downloaded sources and I've created a polish
.bdf files with all characters needed. The package mainatiner cannot help me a
lot, so I need to do it for myself. I have two main problems and I want to
solve them both.

1. bdfs corrupted/fc-cache bug?

I chose anorexia.se.bdf - it worked fine. I renamed to anorexia.pl and added
special chars. The other change is that I set CHARSET_ENCODING to "2" (as it's
ISO8859-2). I use bdftopcf and then fc-cache -fv ./ . The effects are poor.
There is no entry for anorexia.pl.pcf at all. The entry of anorexia.pl.bdf is
lack of "charset=......" and lack of "lang=.....". The original files -
anorexia.se.bdf and anorexia.se.pcf are cached fine.

So I fell back to CHARSET_ENCODING "1" as it's original. bdftopcf, then fc-cahe
-fv ./ and it works fine! I have "charset=...." and "lang=...." entries, but
they differ from .se version! For example:

1 "anorexia.se.bdf" [cut] charset=  |>^1!|>^1!P0oWQ!!!!#
!)pTB!)pTB:lang=fj|ho|ia|ie|io|om|so|sw|ts|xh|zu:fontversion=0:fontformat=BDF"
2 "anorexia.pl.bdf" [cut] charset=
|>^1!|>^1!P0oWQ!!!!#UFt[0UFoay(9!*K:lang=de|eu|fj|ho|ia|ie|io|nds|om|so|sw|ts|vo|xh|zu:fontversion=0:fontformat=BDF"

Charset differ is fine. But why lang= differs? Why my bdf is broken? Why
doesn't fc-cache work fine with my .bdf? I still cannot use special polish
characters, but I can see swedish one (for example in gVim), why?

You can download anorexia.se.bdf and anorexia.pl.bdf here:
http://www.haze.ehost.pl/pub/anorexia_se_pl_bdf.tar.gz .

2. Few encodings wih one font - how?

Maintainer of Artwiz fonts created 3 different variants for each font. For
example - anorexia (english), anorexia.se (swedish) and anorexia.de (german).
Now I've created fourth - anorexia.pl (polish). My variant has all of special
characters of these three merged. So why do use 4 different fonts as (I can
think of) I can have one font with all characters, for all encodings. I want
font to display swedish characters (e.g. Bjork - I want o umlaut displayed)
even if I'm not a Swede. So I need one font, but good for all, not 4 branches!
How can I make it with .bdf/.pcf font? Can you tell me, or post a tutorial to
make it (I didn't find anything).

Thanks in advance for guidelines. I'd love to release a good and working artwiz
package.

Regards,
Tomasz Kalkosinski