[ft] Rendering of Hinted Postscript "b"

From: Stephen Hartke
Subject: [ft] Rendering of Hinted Postscript "b"
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 18:42:49 -0600

Hello,

I'm using FontForge to develop a sans serif Postscript font. I've encountered an
unusual problem with the rendering of a hinted "b."

I've attached the pfb and afm files for  MySans-Regular to this email.
 The file contains the b glyph, and an o for comparison. If you view
the b and o using FreeType's ftview program at size 20, then the
inside of the counter of the b is 5 pixels wide. However, at size 21,
the counter is only 4 pixels wide.  This looks very strange.  The o
seems to work as expected. If I remove the right vertical hint from
the bowl, the width seems right in ftview, but the bowl is fuzzy.

Is there a problem with the hinting?  Or is my font not constructed correctly?

I've also included a picture of this phenomenon in ftview. I'm using
freetype-2.1.9-2 on Fedora Core 4 with
xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2_4.rhfc4.at.

Thanks,
Stephen Hartke