Re: [ft] Creating an [OT]TF font from BDF font

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [ft] Creating an [OT]TF font from BDF font
Date: 21 Dec 2005 09:36:13 -0800

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 10:50, Keith Packard wrote:
> should do the trick. It's reasonably functional, the plan was to use it
> to eliminate BDF/PCF fonts from the X distribution and ship only TTF
> files. That's been stalled for a couple of years as we need to preserve
> all of the mystic BDF properties, and be able to regenerate BDF fonts as
> needed (BDF being the only X standard for font distribution).
I can now convert the bdf properties with fonttosfnt but I neglected to
note that fonttosfnt fails to preserve the bdf SWIDTH values (the
unscaled "PostScript" widths of each glyph).

fonttosfnt can't retain them because there is no API to get them out of
freetype.

So I shall give up on my attempts to produce a round-trip bdf->sfnt->bdf
path based on fonttosfont.

FontForge can provide a round-trip path.