Re: [ft] Creating an [OT]TF font from BDF font

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [ft] Creating an [OT]TF font from BDF font
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 16:46:30 -0800

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 01:07 +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Hmm, why not simply adding a special `BDF ' table which holds all
> properties?  This should be straightforward, and you get lossless
> conversion.

Yes, this was my plan. I got side-tracked before I managed to implement
it though.

I need this + a utility to regenerate BDF files from the TTF so I can
validate a lossless round-trip for the existing BDF files.

If anyone wants to pick up this little project, I can assure them that
once working, I'll delete all of the BDF files from the X.org CVS
repository and never ship them again, and we'll also deprecate all of
the horrid BDF-based font tools. Note that the X server already happily
loads these .TTF fonts, and will even automatically transcode them to
generate any of the supported encodings, so we actually gain
functionality, reduce disk space usage, reduce code size and eliminate
build-time font compilation. There aren't many projects offering this
kind of win-win-win-win proposition...

-keith