Re: [ft] Creating an [OT]TF font from BDF font

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [ft] Creating an [OT]TF font from BDF font
Date: 16 Dec 2005 14:16:47 -0800

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 10:29, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> You will find what I believe is the most up-to-date version of
> fonttosfnt in the X.Org CVS tree.  There's also a version in XFree86,
> but I'm not sure it has been kept up to date.
I downloaded fonttosfnt from x.org's cvs repository.

I build my little test case (same one ff generated) using this
fonttosfnt. Neither fontforge nor ftview would read the result.

This turned out to be because the faces have different x_ppem and
y_ppem, while the original bdf fonts have the same x/y resolution.

I believe this problem occurs because the call to makeStrike in read.c
uses face->available_sizes[i].width when it should be using
face->available_sizes[i].x_ppem>>6.

So I suggest the following patch (I have no write access to the cvs tree
myself) -- there are several other uses of
face->available_sizes[i].width which may also need to be changed, but
with this patch I can now produce a font which loads.