RE: [ft] Error when trying to use Freetype library

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [ft] Error when trying to use Freetype library
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:22:15 +0200

Hello,

That's very strange, because I can't reproduce the problem with Cygwin.
The fact that the build system invokes "lib /OUT:xxxx" means that it is
confused and believes it's building a library with a Win32 compiler, not
a Unix one.

Could you describe your Cygwin setup, are you using bash, etc.... ?

> After making that one I call 'sh configure' and compile with 'make'.
> This gives me a nice libfreetype in my objs/.libs/ directory.
>
> [REMOVED]
>
> I also change the neccisary changes in the makefile and the resulting
> call to gcc is (I sorted out some other includes to other libs that I
> have succeded to include before adding freetype):
>
> [REMOVED]
>
> This returns the following error:
>
> ./objs/root.o(.text+0x14c): In function `applicationStart':
> /src/apps/testfont/32b/../root.c:199: undefined reference to
> `FT_Init_FreeType' make: *** [image.elf] Error 1

this is a link error. The linker couldn't find any object file
that contained a function named "FT_Init_FreeType". This could
come from various problems:

  - bad linker arguments, for example placing the libfreetype.a
    _before_ the object files that need it on the command line,
    instead of _after_ them.

    (this is a really frustrating limitation of GNU ld)

    unlikely from the detailed command you gave us

  - the 'libfreetype.a' doesn't include the FT_Init_FreeType
    function. For example, because the "ftinit" module wasn't
    compiled in.

    check with the 'nm' program to ensure it is there.

Hope this helps,

- David Turner
Information contained in this email message is confidential and may be
privileged, and is intended only for use of the individual or entity named
above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
in error, please immediately notify the address@hidden and destroy the original
message.