Re: [Freetype] Question on MacOS X

From: Paul Miller
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Question on MacOS X
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:09:44 -0600

>          There are no plans, that I am aware of, for adding ANY UI to FT.
>
>          We already have platform-centric calls (ftmac.c, ftwin.c,
etc.)
> which include support for reading platform installed fonts.  It is
> transparent to the clients, since it happens inside of "overridden"
> versions of FT_New_Face().

Yes, but these are calls to hide the underlying OS, or to read a
certain file format. That's not what I mean. These calls connect FT2
to the layer below it, the host OS'es file system.

I am under the impression that a variant of FT_New_Face() should be
created that has as it's input user-level things such as font name,
bold-ness, etc to let a user select a font based on these
characteristics, and that this call should be part of the current FT2
library.

I agree completely. The first thing I did when discovering FT was to write my own layer above that took a full font name "Times New Roman Bold Italic" and converted that to the necessary information for FT_New_Face. I did this for Windows and MacOS. But I'm also going to need to do this for Linux as well.

A version of FT_New_Face that takes a normalized font name, like above, would be tremendously beneficial to FreeType newbies, especially.

--
Paul T. Miller | VP of Engineering, Profound Effects, Inc. | http://www.profoundeffects.com