freecats-dev

Re: [Freecats-Dev] Dan's API - SOAP

From: Dan Urist
Subject: Re: [Freecats-Dev] Dan's API - SOAP
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:45:37 -0600

One thing I might add is that a very attractive part of the SOAP infrastructure is the WSDL piece. WSDL stands for "Web Services Description Language", and completely specifies the API. This makes writing clients particularly easy, since most SOAP development kits can parse the WSDL file and automagically provide functions based on it.

Unfortunately most WSDL files are written by software rather than humans, so they're not easy to parse (at least unless you pretty-print them). I tried to make mine as human-readable as possible, and used Google's as a template since they're heavily commented (they're available from http://www.google.com/apis/ if anyone's interested).

I'm still working on packaging my new server, almost there...
--
Daniel J. Urist
address@hidden