Re: [O] Bug: Org 9.2.1 table issues [9.2.1 (9.2.1-dist @ /Users/nick/.em

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Org 9.2.1 table issues [9.2.1 (9.2.1-dist @ /Users/nick/.emacs.d/lisp/org-9.2.1/)]
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:52:38 +0100

Hello,

Nick Helm <address@hidden> writes:

> If that's the case, it's a significant loss of functionality. This would
> mean, for instance, that it's no longer possible to format financial
> data with a uniform column width.

"significant" may be relative. The feature has been available on master
for months, and this went unnoticed.

Anyway, I changed the algorithm, so shrinking should now obey to
alignment. Thank you for the feedback.

> Let me try to illustrate with another example. If you shrink this table
> with C-c TAB:
>
> | <5>                      |
> | one                  two |
> | one                      |
>
> you get the following:
>
> | <5> …|
> | one …|
> | one …|
>
> This is misleading - cell 3 contains no additional content yet the
> indicator says it does. It's also ambiguous - it's impossible to
> determine whether cell 2 or 3 contains the longer field.
>
> Compare with this, where such information is clearly conveyed:
>
> | <5>  |
> | one …|
> | one  |

This is not misleading. The "…" characters means the /column/ as a whole
is shrunk, not that an individual field is. Luckily, you can easily use,
for example, `C-TAB` for the rare case the situation requires
disambiguation.

> Has this been removed from 9.2 as well?

Yes, it has.

Regards,