[O] Bug: Org 9.2.1 table issues [9.2.1 (9.2.1-dist @ /Users/nick/.emacs.

From: Nick Helm
Subject: [O] Bug: Org 9.2.1 table issues [9.2.1 (9.2.1-dist @ /Users/nick/.emacs.d/lisp/org-9.2.1/)]
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 00:29:45 +0000

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

I recently installed Org 9.2.1 and encountered a few bugs / issues with
the new implementaion of Org tables:

1. columns do not correctly align when using a combined alignment and
   width cookie

2. shrinking to a specified column width indicates continuation /
   truncation where none exists

3. editing a cell narrower than its specified column width unnecessarily
   expands the entire column.

Several "Invalid function: org-table-with-shrunk-field" errors also show
up in *Messages* during these operations. (it's a macro)

Recipes:

Emacs -Q
(org-version) -> "9.2.1"

1.

Create a new table:

| one                  |
| two is a longer cell |

Add a right alignment override and realign with C-c C-c:

|                  <r> |
|                  one |
| two is a longer cell |

Specify a column width:

|                <r40> |
|                  one |
| two is a longer cell |

and shrink to size with C-c TAB:

| <r40>                                   …|
| one                                     …|
| two is a longer cell                    …|

The column is no longer right aligned.

2.

In the last table above, continuation / truncation / shrunk cell
characters (…) display even though the column is the full specified
width (40 char in this case) and no cell text is truncated. I expect
continuation to only show when text is actually truncated.

In the example above, something like this (mockup):

|                                    <r40> |
|                                      one |
|                     two is a longer cell |

And in the case of a narrower column, where a cell contains truncated /
hidden text, something like this (mockup):

|           <r15> |
|             one |
| two is a longer…|

3.

Create a new table and shrink to a specified column width with
C-u C-c TAB:

| <15>           …|
| one            …|
| two is a longer…|

Move point to the second cell and delete the "e" in "one":

| <15>                 |
| on                   |
| two is a longer cell |

The entire column expands, even though this action is not necessary to
perform the edit (annoying if the column contains other cells with text
longer than the window width).

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.2.0, Carbon Version 158
AppKit 1671.2)
 of 2019-02-08
Package: Org mode version 9.2.1 (9.2.1-dist @
/Users/nick/.emacs.d/lisp/org-9.2.1/)