Re: [O] Bug: Org 9.2.1 table issues [9.2.1 (9.2.1-dist @ /Users/nick/.em

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Org 9.2.1 table issues [9.2.1 (9.2.1-dist @ /Users/nick/.emacs.d/lisp/org-9.2.1/)]
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 11:50:55 +0100

Hello,

Nick Helm <address@hidden> writes:

> Create a new table:

[...]

> |                <r40> |
> |                  one |
> | two is a longer cell |
>
> and shrink to size with C-c TAB:
>
> | <r40>                                   …|
> | one                                     …|
> | two is a longer cell                    …|
>
> The column is no longer right aligned.

This is by design, so you can often edit the field without expanding the
column.

> In the last table above, continuation / truncation / shrunk cell
> characters (…) display even though the column is the full specified
> width (40 char in this case) and no cell text is truncated. I expect
> continuation to only show when text is actually truncated.
>
> In the example above, something like this (mockup):
>
> |                                    <r40> |
> |                                      one |
> |                     two is a longer cell |
>
> And in the case of a narrower column, where a cell contains truncated /
> hidden text, something like this (mockup):
>
> |           <r15> |
> |             one |
> | two is a longer…|

I think this is a matter of taste.

Of course, this is slightly more informative, but I prefer a more
visible "…" character. It might be confusing otherwise, e.g., if you
edit a narrow column, which suddenly expands because a very large column
below.

> Create a new table and shrink to a specified column width with
> C-u C-c TAB:
>
> | <15>           …|
> | one            …|
> | two is a longer…|
>
> Move point to the second cell and delete the "e" in "one":
>
> | <15>                 |
> | on                   |
> | two is a longer cell |
>
> The entire column expands, even though this action is not necessary to
> perform the edit (annoying if the column contains other cells with text
> longer than the window width).

I cannot reproduce it. It used to be that way in an old implementation
of shrunk columns, but I don't think it is the case anymore.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou