Re: [O] Bug: Org 9.2.1 table issues [9.2.1 (9.2.1-dist @ /Users/nick/.em

From: Nick Helm
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Org 9.2.1 table issues [9.2.1 (9.2.1-dist @ /Users/nick/.emacs.d/lisp/org-9.2.1/)]
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 08:11:44 +0000

> Anyway, I changed the algorithm, so shrinking should now obey to
> alignment. Thank you for the feedback.

Thank you – this is a welcome improvement.

>> | <5> …|
>> | one …|
>> | one …|
>>
>> This is misleading - cell 3 contains no additional content yet the
>> indicator says it does. It's also ambiguous - it's impossible to
>> determine whether cell 2 or 3 contains the longer field.
>>
>> Compare with this, where such information is clearly conveyed:
>>
>> | <5>  |
>> | one …|
>> | one  |
>
> This is not misleading. The "…" characters means the /column/ as a whole
> is shrunk, not that an individual field is.

OK, I see the value of indicating the column state like this when it's
shrunk to a width of 1 character and no cell content is visible (which,
BTW, is an great new feature).

But, the rest of the time, can't the indicator serve both purposes -
indicate a shrunken column and the presence of truncated cells - when it
is limited to places where text is hidden?

Granted, it might be less visible and it wouldn't appear on cells that
truncate only whitespace when shrunk, but IMO those are minor downsides.

>> Has this been removed from 9.2 as well?
>
> Yes, it has.

If I can't convince you to restore the default, would you consider
adding the previous behaviour as a configurable option?

Nick