[Dvdrtools-users] Re: Problem burning multi-file images w/ Cendyne DVR-

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Problem burning multi-file images w/ Cendyne DVR-104 -- 4GB "limit" is 32-bit POSIX
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:09:29 -0500 (EST)

Quoting "John R. Makosky" <address@hidden>:
> In short, I wish to burn 4+ GB to a DVD-R, but have to contend with
> the Linux 2GB file-size limit.
> OS:           RedHat 6.2 on a Dell 2450 (PIII/866, 512MB RAM)
> Kernel:       2.2.23 w/ ReiserFS patch

I think you just found the problem right there.

The 2-4GB file size limits are 32-bit POSIX ones.  They do not exist on 64-bit
POSIX platforms (like Alpha, MIPS64, SPARC64, IA64, x86-64, etc...).

The "workaround" is to use a 32-bit POSIX platform with complete LFS (large file
support).  To get complete LFS support, you must have:
  1.  A kernel with LFS
  2.  A LibC with LFS
  3.  A program compiled against LibC with LFS
  4.  A program that either uses [u]int64 variables, or
      references the platform/header file constant for type
      (which will be 32-bit POSIX with LFS support)

Kernel 2.2 does not have LFS, although there are patches.  RedHat never applied
them, nor are they in the stock 2.2 kernels either.

GLibC 2.1 (RedHat 6) does not have LFS, although there are limited function 2.1
patches.  I remember getting a pre-7.0 Rawhide RPM GLibC that had them, but
never have a seen a release/errate RedHat 6 GlibC 2.1 RPM that had them.

If you have the above two, with your system and headers modified, and you build
from a recent source, you may have #3 and #4.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. (BSECE)       Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
[ http://thebs.org/files/resume/BryanJonSmith_certifications.pdf ]