Re: [DotGNU]Newbie Alert!

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Newbie Alert!
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 16:43:26 +0200 (CEST)

Baron Schwartz <address@hidden> wrote:

> never been on #irc :-)  When's the next conference again?

    Saturday 1000 UTC (that is 4am EDT)
    Sunday 2100 UTC (that is 5pm EDT)

> I'll have to learn how that works and drop in on that.

I'm using a program called "xchat"; there's a lot of alternative irc
client programs that you could use too.

Here's some very brief instructions on how to use xchat to reach the
DotGNU irc channel...

 * start the xchat program
 * click on "New Server" and add the following information:
   Name: Freenode
   Server: irc.freenode.net
   then click on "Ok"
 * scroll down... you will see "Freenode".  Click on it (to select it)
   then click on "Connect".
 * near the bottom of the window, to the right of your username,
   there's a space where you can go and type things that you want to
   say, as well as irc command.  Go there and type "/join #dotgnu"
   (without the quotes).

> Anyway, here's what I *am*:  I'm convinced that free software is the only
> way to keep evil empires from enslaving me and my firstborn.  I'm wanting
> to help.  I'm at least proficient with XML and related technologies, but I
> have a lot to learn there too.  I am not afraid of doing "support" roles,
> like website maintenance or documentation.  How can I help?  I am your
> humble servant, 1-5 hours a week :-)  If you think I'd be best off
> learning the hacking, or learning how to test, or something, feel free to
> say so...

One area where we urgently need help is Public Relations,
i.e. convincing magazines, newpapers, news websites, etc.
to publish articles about DotGNU.  PR work typically also
includes writing suitable articles.

Does this sound interesting to you?

Greetings, Norbert.

--