Re: [DotGNU]OT: File formats schools

From: Peter Minten
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]OT: File formats schools
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:49:10 +0100

James Michael DuPont wrote:

> Adam,
> I have been in contact with Les from
> address@hidden
>
> I would love to help organize a local Student chapter,
> and one in NJ were i am doing my distance learning.
>
> There are some great possibilities for dotgnu and schoolforge to work
> togeather.
>
> > We also should start some type of weekly meeting
> > on
> > Freenode to discuss plans between all chapters(a name for each
> > localized
> > grouP?)
> Yes, let us do that. I think the schooolforge.net looks very promising,
> maybe they would like to take part :
> We need a plan for a real worldwide organization.

Yes!!

But we don't need just a lobbying organization, we need an organization that can
produce products which are attractive to the schools. I'm mainly thinking of
prefab packages for specific platforms. For example a Ruby package for windows
with good documentation and useful packages (like a logger, an IDE, a GUI
toolkit, etc). Give the package a simple graphical interface and automate the
installation process. Make a lot of these packages then burn them on a cd and
give them to whoever you want to convince. Chances are good they will try it and
copy the cd (better explicitly say copying is allowed :-) for their collegues,
and with a bit of luck they will install the packages on the school network and
teach those languages.

It might also be a good idea to create a 'declaration of software freedom in
schools'.

> Lets setup a chat-a-thon in one month, and invite everyone to come in!

Right.

Greetings,

Peter