Re: [DotGNU]Testing of ILASM:

From: Fergus Henderson
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Testing of ILASM:
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 14:17:50 +1100

On 02-Jan-2003, James Michael DuPont <address@hidden> wrote:
> --- Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
> > As stated in the FAQ, round-tripping isn't really a goal of pnet.  We
> > always
> > work from the assumption of source code availability.  Being able to
> > disassemble an unknown binary, modify it, and then feed it back into
> > the assembler, is unnecessary if you have the source available to
> > modify  directly.
>
> Well if you want to link different code from different languages then
> it is important, also if I write code with a different .net language,
> lets say mecury for example.

Well, yes and no.  If you don't mind the code being in different DLLs,
you should be able to mix different languages without needing round-tripping.
But if you want to produce a single executable, then yes, that is where
round-tripping comes in.  In particular, the closest thing MS has to a
linker is running ildasm on several files, concatenating the output,
and then running ilasm.  Obviously this only works if round-tripping is
supported.

--
Fergus Henderson <address@hidden>  |  "I have always known that the pursuit