Re: [DotGNU]Testing of ILASM:

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Testing of ILASM:
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 00:03:41 -0800 (PST)

--- Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Friday 03 January 2003 10:43 am, James Michael DuPont wrote:

> > well, it does not have to produce the same exact program,
> > i just replaced the dotted name with a "_" and that solved the
> problem
> > as well for the time. But i have seem some classnames with things
> like
> > "/" in them.
>
> "/" is used to refer to nested classes.  It's part of the IL
> assembler syntax.

here are three quotes from :
[Lidin] Lidin,Serge 2002 "Inside Microsoft .NET IL Assembler" pp
133-134
(Chapter 6 Namespaces and Classes)

I qutote :

"In ILAsm, a class is always referenced by it's full name, even if it
is referenced from within the same namespace. This makes class
referencing context independant."
[Lidin]

But that does not mean the declaration contains the full name!

Now here is the interesting bit :

"ILAsm does not allow dotted names as classnames, but you can bypass
this restriction by quoting the dotted name" [Lidin]

well  that looks good, just what we need

.class public 'this.Has.a.funky.name'
{

}

he goes on to state :
"But if you disassemble the module, you'll find that the left part of
the dotted name of the class has migrated to the namspace, courtesy of
the metadata emission API" [Lindin]

.namespace 'this.Has.a.funky'
{
   .class public Name