Re: [DotGNU]Swig and C# (was: Strategy for dealing with C++ )

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Swig and C# (was: Strategy for dealing with C++ )
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:28:33 +0530

If memory serves me right, Neil Cawse wrote:
> or Gopal your stuff?

My stuff is not a generic wrapper generator ... it's specifically focussed
on binding libxml2 as cleanly as possible ... It has stuff that looks like
this

[StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential)]
internal class xmlSaxHandler
{
        [MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.FunctionPointer)]
        internal xmlReadElementFunc elementFunc;
}

To map the internals of libxml2's SAX functionpointer handlers into C#
delegates directly .. And then build the public API which will prolly
use events for this purpose ....

The libxml2's API.xml has almost all the typeinfo I need except the struct
members and the enum members ... For example all pointer types end with the
suffix "Ptr" making it easy to wrap it automagically ... sort of like doing

if name[:3] == "Ptr":
        return "IntPtr";
if name == "char *":
        return "String"
if name == "xmlChar *":
        return "[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.BStr)] String"

for the arguments .....

> Do any of you bright people want to finish this\improve this?

I still haven't downloaded your file because of the 5 MB it showed up as...
*yow* ...

> in Source\Modules1.1\clr.cxx (copied from java.cxx)
> in Lib\Clr.swg - mappings

Wouldn't giving me these 2 files enable me to work with Swig-C# ? ...

Sorry, downloading 5 MB to just test something on my internet connection
is extremely frustrating experience ....

Btw, someone should really take a good look at the pnet's C compiler ...
Wait till we get it to compile glibc, and we're off ! ...

Gopal