demexp-dev

Re: [Demexp-dev] CDuce binding in Makefile.

From: Serge Leblanc
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] CDuce binding in Makefile.
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:33:27 +0200

On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 16:15, David MENTRE wrote:
Hello Serge,

Serge Leblanc <address@hidden> writes:

> I will integrate in the makefile the possibility of binding CDuce code.
> What will allow a easy informations XML handling.

Sorry, but I don't know what CDuce is. After looking at its web page
(http://www.cduce.org/), it appears that it allows (amongst other
things) to manipulate XML documents in a type safe way.

Yes CDuce allows an efficiency input/output/transformation XML documents.

However, I'm wondering if such a program is really necessary for
demexp. For the XML import and export, I just need small routines to
read & write xml files and transform them into ocaml data structure,
with a sax-like API in order to avoid loading all the file in memory.

For reading, it seems that lablgtk2 as already a minimal XML support:
http://oandrieu.nerim.net/ocaml/lablgtk/doc/Xml_lexer.html

For writing, I can do it easily with printf-like functions.

CDuce seems to me a huge program (and language!) not suited to the
needed task. What do you think of it Serge?

CDuce was precisely built to handle XML import and export with safety and efficiency since OCaml, look at : http://www.cduce.org/manual_interfacewithocaml.html

"Use CDuce as an XML layer (input/output/transformation) for OCaml projects;"

The code which CDuce produces can be directly linked with OCaml.

BTW, if CDuce has the possibility to *validate* an XML DTD, it could be
interesting for us, demexp developers.

CDuce offers better than the validation : http://www.cduce.org/manual_schema.html#validation

Yours,
david

--
pub  1024D/73791C2B 2002-09-30 Serge Leblanc <address@hidden>
 Primary key fingerprint: 8E0C 0D6D E026 A278 9278  BF4F 1A93 D552 7379 1C2B