bna-linuxiran

[linuxiran] Linux teaching website

From: Ehsan Akhgari
Subject: [linuxiran] Linux teaching website
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 08:42:38 +0430

Hi all,

Is there any interest for a Persian website dedicated to teach Linux from
the ground up?  I've been spending some time looking for Linux teaching
websites on the net, and I've found a number of them.  Most of them have
only contained a handful of Linux related tips, and there are a few which
attempt in actually teaching Linux, but they don't have a good teaching
program for getting beginners started -- All they provide is a teaching
guide for a certain application or aspect of the system.  And there are
several which are mostly dedicated to Linux discussions/news, which don't
fall in this category.

Now, what I have in mind is this.  As a Persian user, one needs a Persian
teaching resource which does not assume previous experience at all, and
starts teaching Linux from the ground up; in a way that they can follow from
Lesson 1 upward to start learning Linux.  And the whole teaching material
will be free, both as in freedom and as in free "maa-oshaeer".  :-)

Do you guys think this is a good idea?  Do you have any idea about things to
add, or exclude, maybe?

I also need help if anyone is willing/able to give.  I'm going to write up
"Linux from command line" lesssons myself, which start from ls/cd commands
up to more advanced command line tricks and shell programming methods, and
then I might consider writiing about a graphical desktop, an application (or
an app suite), or a specific task (like networking with Linux, for example.)
But I think it would be very nice if several parallel topics can be started
simultaneously.  But I don't have enough time for that myself, so I need
help.  If anyone is able to write about such a topic from the ground up and
on a lesson by lesson basis, I'd be grateful to have their help.  Also, if
anyone is able to write Linux tips & tricks, then that would be nice as
well.  Also, we can open up forums if some of you guys do the favor of
answering questions there (since I won't have enough time...)

In case anyone decides to join, I think I would use MovableType as the
publishing system, so it would be easy for anyone to get started writing
articles.

Ideas/questions/comments/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!