anarchdb-devel

Re: [Anarchdb-devel] Couple of updates

From: Graham Smith
Subject: Re: [Anarchdb-devel] Couple of updates
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:02:14 +0100

Yeah, it can be a bitch to set up, especially if you're new to Linux
and cross-compiling. Perhaps the best would be to get ARDB to compile
correctly with the tools you're familiar with (Visual C++?), and fix
Windows-specific glitches in the code using #ifdef #endif ?
If you can build it this way, please put the VC++ project files in the
CVS, so other people can improve on your work.

The problem seems to be building the libs that ARDB requires.  The
XSLT and XML libs plus the wxWidgets libs.  There are pre built
version out there on the net but they use different Visual C run
times.  Is there any easy way to remove the XML handling from ARDB?  I
have not looked at this part of the source code to hard.  If I can
remove it for now then I only have to worry about the wxWidgets to
start with.

About starting from scratch : I spent tons of spare time for _years_
on ARDB, so unless you have a lot of free time, I'd recommend against
starting from scratch. I know _I_ wouldn't do it again. :-/

That is what is putting me off trying to roll my own in my current
language of choice ( C# ).  Also I would hate to see all your hard
work go to waste.

Graham.