ykernel-misc

[Ykernel-misc] Re: Y Kernel Project

From: ishwarjoshi
Subject: [Ykernel-misc] Re: Y Kernel Project
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 19:43:36 +0000

hi nick.

i have attached the history of the project so far.

you can find info about the secure ftp at the savannah
discussion list:
http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=843

you can find info about putting up the home page at:
http://savannah.gnu.org/faq/?
group_id=11&question=How_do_I_upload_my_homepage_
(CVS_HTML).txt

if you have any other questions, i can try to answer
them.

thanks.

-
ishwar
> Hi ishwar,
>
> That would be great if you could send me the project history
> until now.  Can I use my normal userid and password on the
> savannah site to connect to the server via secure ftp?
>
> I will need the ip address of this ftp server as well.
> Also can I just upload the html files to this server or do
> I also have to check them into the cvs repository?
>
> As you can tell, I'm a newbie to savannah projects.
>
> Also please email me at the following address instead of this
> one from now one:  address@hidden
>
> I updated this in my profile on the savannah site as well.
>
> After I get your stuff I can set up a basic web site for this
> project.
>
> ~~Nick

aug 2001
========
- started project as 'newhurd'
  idea being to rewrite the existing hurd kernel

- sent out emails to various people to signup

- started training on 'c' programming

- registered group 'newhurd' on yahoo groups

sep 2001
========
- c training

oct 2001
========
- c training

nov 2001
========
- c training

dec 2001
========
- c training over

jan 2002
========
- discussions regarding the design approach
  for the kernel (micro, mono, exo)

feb 2002
========
- contd discussions regarding the design approach
  for the kernel (micro, mono, exo)

mar 2002
========
- contd discussions regarding the design approach
  for the kernel (micro, mono, exo)

- planned to write a prototype of micro and mono
  before deciding on the design approach

apr 2002
========
- changed name to 'y kernel'

- registered project on savannah.gnu.org

- moved from yahoo groups to savannah

- attempted to compile linux 1.x kernel 'linux lite'

may 2002
========

- found linux 0.1 source code

- attempted to use the 'bochs' emulator under windows
  for compiling linux 0.1 source code

- found good links on os & kernel design

jun 2002
========

- compiling linux 0.1 on bochs emulation did not
  work out as expected. dropped that approach.

jul 2002
========

- nothing to report

aug 2002
========

- compiled linux 2.2.x kernel on redhat 7.0
  then used DLX distribution to put it on a floppy
  and boot.

- modified linux 2.2.x kernel in simple ways
  (print hello world) and compiled it and used it
  successfully in the DLX distro floppy