wxruby-dev

RE: [Wxruby-dev] RE: [FR-devel] FreeRIDE presentation accepted atOSCON.

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [Wxruby-dev] RE: [FR-devel] FreeRIDE presentation accepted atOSCON.
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:19:24 -0800

repeater wrote:

> curt wrote:
> >
> > Here's a decision I have been hinting at, but I think I will make it
> > official -- I'm going to (continue to) drop out of wxRuby development so
> > that I can devote my energies to FreeRIDE (at least between now
> > and OSCON).
> > There are a number of high priority things that I want to get
> > into FreeRIDE
> > by that time.
> >
> > To Bob Calco: there was no response from Peter about picking up
> > the ball for
> > moving forward with the SWIG version of wxRuby, so feel free to
> pursue you
> > original plan with Cable.
>
> hi Curt, great news about your IDE, congrats !
>
> hmm it seems i've missed my cue in responding, i hope you took no offense.
> you see, i was inspired by your message, took it as thumbs up go ahead and
> continued working until i have something worth talking about :-)
> i'll post a
> little issue now that have puzzled me a bit.

Gee, my apologies for jumping to the conclusion.

> so if you are in doubt of my status:
> i am going to continue to work on wxRuby and incrementally port the python
> demos. my hope is that we will be capable of getting a co-operative
> structure going here on this list. alone, my knowledge may not be
> sufficient, and it would be great if we can start throwing questions and
> issues at one another.
>
> about Cable:
> i still think that Cable wouldn't deliver us a working wxRuby any quicker.
> currently the problems we face seems to be the efficient integration of
> wxwindows into the ruby world, and i am not sure Cable would resolve that.
> the interface files are written, a done deal.
>

> please reconsider dropping out completely would you ? although what we
> really need is people that commit themselves into learning the
> internals (as
> is my intention), just giving it your attention now and then would be
> appreciated.

Absolutely! I just won't be able to do any primary development on wxRuby. I
still want to create a wxRuby renderer plugin for FreeRIDE. This will be a
good real-world test case for wxRuby that will help shake out any problems.

> if i can ask a favour, could you at least stay and help to
> troubleshoot the
> crash as the app exits ? i suspect it is caused by the garbage collector
> (will start a new topic about it soon)

Sure. I'm aware of this problem (and I also think its a GC related problem)
but had not looked into it.

Anyway... sorry I jumped to the conclusion that you weren't interested, and
I am ecstatic that you are willing to be the primary mover at this point in
time.

Curt