wget-dev

Re: wget2 | Fedora 40 ships Wget2 as Wget (#661)

From: Romain Geissler (@Romain-Geissler-1A)
Subject: Re: wget2 | Fedora 40 ships Wget2 as Wget (#661)
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2024 20:46:18 +0000

Romain Geissler commented:
https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/661#note_1986792947

Ah good ! Indeed in my first version of the pull request disabling TFO in the
fedora package I didn't like much my proposal of submitting a `/etc/wget2rc`
file, being a packager and a user myself I know that usually I ship these in
some `conf.d/specific-configuration.conf` file to avoid conflicts with other
config maintained by other people.

Note: after the last commits on your side and the backport we pushed in Fedora
(that will apply to RHEL 10 too), for my organization (Amadeus) the move to
wget2 in RHEL 10 seems rather ok-ish, at least as far as we can foresee now
with preliminary testing via fedora 40. However both @freedge1 and I did raise
our concerns to Red Hat that if we worked at Red Hat, we would seriously
re-consider this wget2 move for RHEL 10, as I think some Red Hat clients do use
things currently unsupported by wget2 (like FTP) which I doubt will be
implemented in any soon-ish future. We did point them at this very issue where
you made it clear as official maintainers of wget2 that you don't consider it
ready for prime time yet. RHEL is meant to be a stable distro, which will be
supported for 10+ years, and I doubt Red Hat will want to backport for years
all upstream fixes to ease the compatibility between wget1 & wget2.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/661#note_1986792947