viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Gnu.emacs.vm.info & (.bugs) dropped from gnu.emacs hierarchy (a

From: kosowskyj
Subject: Re: [VM] Gnu.emacs.vm.info & (.bugs) dropped from gnu.emacs hierarchy (again)
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 06:24:51 -0700 (PDT)

I posted to gnu.org asking why gnu.emacs.vm.info and gnu.emacs.vm.bugs have
been dropped from the gnu.org heirarchy.

Their response is that these groups have been deprecated by the vm maintainers
and hence have been dropped from the heirarchy.

Deprecated or not, it still would be nice to continue to have these groups that
have been around for at least the past 25 years. I have no problem with any
individual or developer choosing not to read or post to the list nor do I have
a problem with the groups being "officially" deprecated (whatever that means)
but in the spirit of collaboration, I don't see why such groups should be
eliminated from the heirarchy since clearly some users continue to find such
groups useful and helpful. Of course, there need not (and never are) guarantees
that such posts will be responded to.

Personally, I must say that I hate email lists because there is no good way
(for me at least) to access past posts since I tend to either have to read them
real time or delete them. The great thing about USENET is that the posts are
always there... and even the lamest of providers continues to archive old posts
for many months.