viewmail-info

Re: [VM] imap-ssh and passwords

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] imap-ssh and passwords
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 11:38:25 +0100

Matthew Vernon writes:

> I'm not sure I agree that password-based authentication is inherently
> less secure than public-key-based authentication, but that's getting
> rather off-topic, isn't it? I don't think password-based ssh logins are
> so dreadful an idea that VM should not support them as a policy issue or
> anything like that.

No, we don't have any policy that VM should not support it.  That is the way
Kyle Jones designed it.  I don't know how easy or hard it might be to add
password-based SSH authentication.  If anybody is able to work on it and
contribute a patch, I will be happy to incorporate it.

> The host concerned does not support imap/ssl, and has no plans to do so.

That is ok.  But I have mentioned the solution of ssh tunneling.  Can you
try that and see if that does the job for you?

Cheers,
Uday