viewmail-info

Re: [VM] imap-ssh and passwords

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] imap-ssh and passwords
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:13:41 +0100

Matthew Vernon writes:

> Hi,
>
> TFM notes that SSH must be able to authenticate without a password for
> imap-ssh to work. This is a bit of a deficiency, really - I might want
> to read email from a host which I'd rather not allow password-less
> access to my mail server from, for example. Is there any chance of this
> being fixed, please? :-)

This was done by Kyle Jones a long time ago, and I don't know why the
restriction is present.

But, from what I have heard, using public key encryption is better for
security than sending passwords.  Some of my SSH servers enforce it.  Does
your SSH server not allow encryption-based authentication?

Cheers,
Uday