viewmail-info

Re: [VM] imap-ssh and passwords

From: Matthew Vernon
Subject: Re: [VM] imap-ssh and passwords
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 08:14:01 +0100

On 12/10/11 02:39, Tim Cross wrote:

With ssh, you have a number of different authentication types. The
most basic is just normal password based. This is also the less secure
method.

I'm not sure I agree that password-based authentication is inherently less secure than public-key-based authentication, but that's getting rather off-topic, isn't it? I don't think password-based ssh logins are so dreadful an idea that VM should not support them as a policy issue or anything like that.

However, imap over ssh is rather an older solution. Most sites now
support encrypted connections using TLS/SSL. This tends to be a more
robust and easier to setup approach. Maybe you could look into that
rather than using imap over ssh?

The host concerned does not support imap/ssl, and has no plans to do so.

Regards,

Matthew