tramp-devel

Re: No longer accessible host paths

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: No longer accessible host paths
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 13:55:29 +0100

JD Smith <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> I have certainly noticed the “host is perfect” assumption and
> resulting errors.  I’m not sure how completion enters into my
> suggestion of a shorter, single-prompt interface, which should work
> with or without completion?  But I guess I could see trying to
> complete the /method:host when there is some local filename would be
> frustrating.  Maybe that means my below suggestion of method-host only
> renaming makes sense for the single prompt version.

Hmm. I have added a new user option, `tramp-default-rename-alist'.  Here
you can specify your preferences for renaming.  If you always want to
rename files from "/ssh:badhost:/path/to/dir/" to
"/ssh:goodhost:/path/to/another/dir/", add the entry

("/ssh:badhost:/path/to/dir/" . "/ssh:goodhost:/path/to/another/dir/")

See the Tramp manual for other examples. Maybe this helps you?

>     M-x tramp-rename-remote-files
>     Enter old Tramp connection: /ssh:bad: RET
>     Enter new Tramp connection: /ssh: ;; complete with "new" to
>     Enter new Tramp connection: /ssh:new: RET
>     Set visited file name: /ssh:new:/tmp/ RET
>
> Yes except that was *three* prompts.  What would be ideal (for this
> simple case) is *just one prompt*:
>
> M-x tramp-rename-this-remote
> Change Remote Tramp Connection: /ssh:bad: (edit in place to /ssh:new:,
> RET)

That won't be possible. You must say both bad and new host, and confirm
them. So you have at least two prompts.

> Remote for all buffers visiting /ssh:bad are immediately changed, and
> marked as edited.

Maybe we can change the third argument of `tramp-rename-remote-files' to
NO-CONFIRM? In case it is non-nil (via a prefix argument of the
command), the new host is taken from `tramp-default-rename-alist'
without a prompt, and the buffer file names are changed also without a
prompt? Then you would have indeed only one prompt.

And you must live with the consequences, if the defaults are not as you
expect ...

WDYT?

Best regards, Michael.