tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] Improved keyboard handling

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] Improved keyboard handling
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 18:01:16 -0600

* On 2016 04 Jan 15:14 -0600, Ervin Hegedüs wrote:
> > In that terminal what is $TERM set to ($ echo $TERM)?
>
> Gnome-term/MATE terminal: xterm
> rxvt-unicode: rxvt-unicode

Everything here except the Linux console reports 'xterm' and still there
are differences.  :-/

I guess the next question is how best to handle this?  Could it be the
way your keyboard is configured?  Is your right Alt setup as a 'Compose'
key?

There is also the 'xev' command that should report how the key is
recognized.  Here I get:

KeyPress event, serial 38, synthetic NO, window 0x7200002,
    root 0x136, subw 0x0, time 3366418307, (-154,42), root:(597,503),
    state 0x10, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 38, synthetic NO, window 0x7200002,
    root 0x136, subw 0x0, time 3366420183, (-154,42), root:(597,503),
    state 0x10, keycode 108 (keysym 0xffea, Alt_R), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

(each key press will also generate a KeyRelease event, but I did not
copy those stanzas as they're the same)

Note that each key is named as Alt_L and Alt_R.

> Here are some screenshots about the different terminal types when
> Tlf runs in:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o66fidr21uryjwe/AADu-dKIta7PxYbCSiNLYmqPa

That looks more like color theme differences.  For example, Ubuntu has a
very different color scheme for Xfce Terminal than Debian.  At this time
the keyboard is my focus.

> If I can help you anything (eg. check the keys in different
> terminals), just let me know!

Certainly, keep testing and playing.  It's how we learn this stuff.

73, Nate