tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] noob question- tlf sound files

From: Thomas Beierlein
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] noob question- tlf sound files
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 07:10:46 +0100

Hi Jim,

Am Sun, 04 Mar 2012 15:42:14 -0500 (EST)
schrieb Jim Bruce <address@hidden>:

> I upgraded to 1.1.1 so I now have to find out why hamlib isn't
> talking to the radio anymore.

As first step try that your computer works with hamlib alone. You can
use hamlibs 'rigctl' program for that.

Second step: Make sure your rig settings (model and baudrate) in
logcfg.dat are correct.

> It was installed with the enable hamlib
> cmd during the ./configure in the instructions. Are all upgrades to
> programs that need compiling done this way or is there an upgrade
> switch?

It is the normal way if you install a program from source. As TLF works
on more than linux we can not provide a precompiled image. That is
normaly done by the distributions who can specialize for a certain
operating system and/or processor family.

> I thought I had deleted the tlf directory in /usr/share prior to the
> upgrade and the files I was changing there for rules were not
> following the changes. I also found a tlf directory
> in /usr/local/share where the changes are seen in the program. Has
> the install directory changed with 1.1.1 and can the /usr/share/tlf
> be deleted?

If you compile an application yourself most build systems place the
resulting files automatically in /usr/local/(bin,share). The one coming
from your distribution (1.1.0) was installed in /usr/(bin,share) before.

You can change the behaviour of your build by an additional switch
to ./configure:

'./configure --enable-hamlib --prefix=/usr'

would install the files in the old location, overriding the original
files. Be sure to backup any modifications you have made.

If you stay with the new /usr/local version you have to delete at least
the original /usr/bin/tlf as it comes first in search order if you
call the program. Best would be to deinstall the old version with your
package manager.

73, de Tom DL1JBE.

--
"Do what is needful!"