tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] noob question- tlf sound files

From: Rob Vance
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] noob question- tlf sound files
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 13:30:34 -0800

Hi Jim,

I have played with SSB mode in TLF for some years - though I recently added the voicekeyer hardware to my rig (TS-590S) as my success with TLF using the VK has been mixed.

A few notes;

The "VKM1=/home/jim/tlf/cq.wav  (examples...)" entries should do the trick.  The corresponding F-keys should make the computer talk.  Yea, the F1-thing in Ubuntu is a bit of a complication - I don't recall how to get over that, but you might poke around in the settings for the terminal window to see if you can disable that.

The trickiest part of the plan is how to key your rig.  I really wanted to use the PTT line from the parallel port.  VOX is okay, but has it's problems, especially if you have a cold (coughing, sneezing, etc.).  I have had problems getting cwdaemon to toggle the proper parallel port line that will key the rig.  The behavior is erratic and I haven't played with it in a long time so I don't know if this is still an issue.  If you search the archives of this list with my call sign you will see some of my adventures.

Note that if the file name of your sound files are too long (was it >12 characters? I can't recall) then sox won't play it.  TLF calls sox to play your sounds.  I think your file names are fine.  You can test this by going to a command line and entering;

# play /home/jim/tlf/cq.wav

And listen for your sound coming from the sound card.  Sox will talk back to you if it doesn't like anything about your files.

Finally, Thomas has made some improvements in how sox is called from TLF and there is now a separate configuration file for this.  Please review the archives for this; I don't recall the details.

Good luck es 73

Rob/N6ROB