therion-users

Re: [Therion] Nesting surveys

From: Andrew Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Therion] Nesting surveys
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:52:50 -0000

> > I think I understand that using the global dataset would work, however,
> this
> > means that everything has to be tided into the global dataset from the
> > start. For various reasons this is not going to be possible (well not in
> the
> > near future.) I was also hoping to be able to send distinct sections
> out,
> > without sending the whole dataset out, eg just send the folder darkside
> out
> > and someone would be able to edit it. Also I like to try to have data as
> > simple to change as possible. For example when a cave has been misnamed
> > could just change a couple of references and that would be it, I am
> thinking
> > of situations of when a small cave is linked to a large system and then
> is
> > just an area of that system. If the full global reference is used in the
> th2
> > files this would not be possible.
>
> I am not sure, whether we have understood. From my point of view,
> everything you
> described would work - without needs of knowing this global dataset
> structure.
> Assuming the most simple scenario:
>
> You have a centerline in survex. There is only one survey "entrance" and
> stations are named from 0 to 10. In therion, your dataset (entrance.th)
> will be
> like:
>
> import entrance.3d -surveys use
>
> survey entrance
>   input entrance.th2
> endsurvey
>
> ... assuming in entrance.th2 stations are without any prefix - named just
> 0,1,..,10.
>
> Now you have two such directories: "entrance" and "continuation" for
> example. In
> survex, you have a global file named "cave.3d" where stations from
> entrance
> dataset look like cave.entrance.1 and from second dataset
> cave.continuation.1
> and cave.3d in in the upper level directory.
>
> Now the corresponding cave.th file in this directory will be like:
>
> import cave.3d -surveys use
>
> survey cave
>   input entrance/entrance.th
>   input continuation/continuation.th
> endsurvey
>
> And that's all. You are able to work on single peace without knowing
> global
> datastructure. You may send only directory continuation to somebody
> without any
> files from top level directory and it will work. He may edit it, send it
> back
> to you and it will work also. If he will rename this survey, you just
> change
> references in cave.th and that's all. I do not see any of problems
> you have described.

This is what I have tried, however I get an error

error -- Benerat_Mainline/Benerat_Mainline.th2 [371] -- invalid station
reference -- mainline_side.52

And from further up the log file

14> 290 : address@hidden

Which indicates to me that the survex.3d name is moon_cave.mainline_side.52
but the Therion name is mainline_side.52

I have solved this by adding a filter, shown below. I also could not get the
data set to work with the import outside of the survey-endsurvey. I have
just tried again, and I still cannot get it to work.

 survey cave

import cave.3d -surveys use -filter cave

   input entrance/entrance.th
   input continuation/continuation.th
 endsurvey

the problem with the filter is that it will only work up one level. Well I
have not found a way around it.

I have the import outside of the survey-endsurvey. I have just tried to move
it inside but cannot get it to work.

<snip>

> Scrap already has this possibility via -station-names option. You may add
> prefixes or suffixes if you like.

This may solve the problem, but as usual I am having problems. From reading
the therion book I understand that it is used in a scrap-endscrap or
centreline-endcentreline. But I need to amend it for a number of scraps
within a th2 file. This prefix will be different depending on where the th2
file is called from???

Unfortunately for now I have run out of time. I will be able to try again in
the New Year, when I suspect that I will be asking for you help again. I
hope your head has recovered by then!

Andrew